Friday, April 27, 2007

Books v Resources

I'm aiming to have 1000 items ready directly after the refurbishment. I've already expanded what I started with; these were simply - paperback books, hardback books and audio cassettes. We now additionally have picture books, CDs for the Listening Post, Articles, Posters and an excellent weblinks package which I'm going to plug from Carelpress. £70 for 8000 weblinks that are updated monthly and integrates with the library automation system... A small step towards my aim of a "one-stop-shop" for resources.

I've processed 496 new items to date, so almost halfway to my target. Talking of books, it is such a generic term in libraries, people mean resources when they actually say books - or do they? I'm still amazed at the number of people who think that Libraries only stock books. The classic line always is "How many books have you got in the library?". Its only a Librarian who would ask how many resources there are, and probably only an experienced one to ask how many are less than 10 years old too...

So far, I've placed another couple of orders and seeing a book rep next week, only after negotiating a better discount. One of the real highlights of the job is when the brand new resources arrive, ready covered and labelled just waiting to be added to the catalogue, which I'm slowly improving. At least when I now type in "koala", "diabetes" or "wind power" something is actually found.

Oh well, had better go and continue reading through the Carnegie Shortlist ready for the shadowing group. Some good ones this year and pretty accessible - but I've yet to find anything particularly uplifting and cheery.

No comments: