Saturday, April 28, 2007

Online and High Street Bargains

I really am of the Internet age (having first used it in 1997 with great excitement (even though each page took around 5 minutes to download and that didn't include images as these were all blocked to "speed things up"!) and those who know me can say that I like an online bargain and often get one and for others too. However, today I had chance to pop into Ipswich and went into Waterstones just to see if I could spot any special offers and try and save a bit more money than the 20% I tend to get from the usual book suppliers, Peters or Amazon, which I thought would have been unlikely as let's face it the high street stores can't beat online prices. Can they? I ended up saving between 33% and 50% on a dozen or so fiction titles for the library. One particular classic, that I needed to promote the all-time Carnegie Anniversary Top 10, and didn't have in stock was "The Family from One End Street" by Eve Garnett which was on a 4-6wk waiting list from Amazon when I looked yesterday, and there in Waterstones there it was with a 50% reduction and a good pile of them too...

Some purists would be critical that I would choose to buy from non-library suppliers, but let's face it in ever hard times with budgets, I can't afford to turn down these discounts, and making the money stretch a bit further is doing my bit to give that extra support to the students.

Finished "Beast" by Ally Kennen last night. Real page turner that one and my favourite so far. Think I'll relax with a book from this morning's trip with another non-internet bargain today, as my local Threshers were selling 4 packs of J20s for 65p - so I cleared their shelves... Anyone for a drink?



No comments: